The City of Fond du Lac is accepting applications for the position of Water Utility General Manager. This full-time position reports directly to the Director of Public Works and is responsible for all administrative, managerial and technical work in directing the functions and activities of the City Fond du Lac Water Utility. The Manager is accountable for employees as well as planning and coordinating the functions unique to each of the four distinct areas: Water Plant, Meter Shop, Water Distribution Field Crew, and Water Business Office.
Various duties and responsibilities include:
- Supervise and direct all water utility operations including: water production, treatment and storage, pumping, SCADA control, distribution construction/maintenance, meter installation, customer accounts and service.
- Coordinate activities of major maintenance and repair work as necessary for water treatment plants, reservoirs, wells, booster pumping stations, distribution and transmission mains.
- Coordinate Water Utility projects with projects of other City divisions, outside utilities, contractors and the general public. Make decisions as necessary.
- Coordinate public informational meetings prior to construction contracts; prepare plans and specifications for Water Division construction contracts; administer construction contracts including award, payments, change orders, final close.
- Coordinate and administer consultant contracts for services.
- Determine operational needs of the community; develop and implement plans to meet those needs.
- Prepare 5-year Capital Improvement Program for the Water Utility, coordinate with other City projects.
- Prepare and administer annual Water Utility operating budget.
- Review and authorize requisitions and vouchers for the purchase of materials, supplies and outside services.
- Oversee required DNR water sampling and submission.
- Customer service/public relations – meet with customers, developers and contractors, personally investigate complaints and take necessary action to correct problems, answer questions related to billing, discuss options for payment, assist customer in determining cause of water loss.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a related field preferred with three to five years civil engineering and construction experience, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must have, or obtain within one year of employment, Waterworks Operator certification.
The City of Fond du Lac offers a comprehensive benefit package including health and life insurance. Benefits information can be found at https://www.fdl.wi.gov/departments.iml?DeptID=39&DeptPage=164.
Starting salary will range from $76,640 – $98,540 (2017 scale) based upon skills and qualifications.
Position will be open until filled.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a completed application and resume describing your experience, as well as copies of certifications as it relates directly to this position. You may obtain application materials by visiting www.fdl.wi.gov (Job Openings tab), or calling Human Resources at (920) 322-3624.