Position Title: ACT Mobile Technician
Business Title: Mobile Technician
Job Function: Service Department
Career Stage: Core
Reports to (Solid): Xylem Service Center Manager
Pay Range: $27 – $38 Per Hour
Send Resume To: Larry Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org AND/OR
Apply To: https://jobs.jobvite.com/careers/xylem/job/o7Tckfwg?__jvst=Job%20Board&__jvsd=Jobvite
The position of Mobile Technician is responsible for troubleshooting, service, repair and maintenance of Xylem products (pumps, electrical and electronic equipment) in a safe and efficient manner in a Xylem Service Center, customer job site or via phone.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot electrical systems and pump end issues and repair/rebuild as necessary using computerized diagnostic tools.
- Perform routine inspections, preventative maintenance and service various products as directed. Diagnose and report any damage to the Manager.
- Create an accurate and legible parts and repair list, manually or digitally, for assigned product. Review list of parts with Manager and obtain approval to continue with servicing and repair.
- Test all repaired equipment for proper operation and quality.
- Assist customer and/or Xylem personnel with setting up pumping systems on customer job sites as needed. Assist in the performance of start-up duties and ensure any problems are resolved.
- Train new service or other shop personnel and customers, as needed, in service and/or other related standard work.
- Maintain a safe work environment by following EHS&S guidelines, policies and best practices.
- Participate in weekly on-call rotation schedule to assist customers after hours.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to diagnose complex mechanical and electrical issues
- Thorough understanding of the methods, materials, tools and techniques used in equipment repair and maintenance
- Knowledgeable of DC electric and circuit testing skills
- Knowledgeable of AC electric motors, up to 500v systems
- Knowledgeable of 3-phase and single-phase systems and motors
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision; self-motivated and self-directed
- Ability to safely operate hand tools, power tools and lifting equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, co-workers and managers both verbally and in writing
- Ability to demonstrate logical troubleshooting processes
- Ability to comfortably operate in virtual reality service scenarios
- Familiarity with engine diagnostic tools
- Familiarity with fluke meter and megger testing
- Basic understanding of pump station electrical controls and monitoring devices
- Knowledge of variable frequency drives (VFD) and/or soft start system
- Knowledge of SCADA controls and integration of MODBUS communication
- Perform on-site start-up service for specified Xylem Water Solutions products.
- Provide installation assistance for Xylem Water Solutions products to contractors, customers and OEM for designated Xylem Water Solutions products.
- Perform on-site repairs with the aid of the “Shop-On-Wheels” or other mobile service vehicles and equipment, as assigned.
- Troubleshoot units and components of various systems employing Xylem Water Solutions products.
- Provide technical and labor assistance in other areas of the service operation when not actively performing field service functions.
- Disseminate service information and provide informal/hands-on training at customer’s locations.
- Record, collect and report on service and technical repair problems.
- Maintain service vehicle, tools and equipment provided for the execution and delivery of service products in an operational and clean condition.
Education and or/Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Two-year technical training or equivalent preferred
- Three to five years of experience and/or formal training or combination of education and training
- Three to five years of equipment maintenance experience
- Two years electrical panel troubleshooting and maintenance experience
- Medium voltage experience a plus (~4160V)
Specialized Knowledge Preferred – Including any required certificates, licenses and registration
- DOT Medical card preferred or ability to obtain
- Ability to read wiring schematics and have a basic understanding of pump station electrical controls and monitoring devices.
- The ability to program PLCs, VFDs and other electronic components used in the motor controls industries
- Demonstrate logical troubleshooting processes
- Requires a functional understanding of the theory and practical application of pumping systems and the ability to discuss and convey; theories, specifications and practices, with Operators, Contractors and Engineers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds)
- Full range of physical motions (standing, walking, bending, stooping, lifting, twisting, kneeling, climbing) continually throughout 8 hours
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Shop/field environment: exposure to all outdoor weather conditions; intermittent exposure to shop noise and fumes all within limits of OSHA standards
- Manufacturing environment: may be exposed to loud noises, changing temperatures, machinery with moving parts and various materials
- Extended hours as needed (weekends, overtime and on-call rotations)
- Travel as required to fulfill the duties listed above or as required by the Company
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It shall not be viewed as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Xylem reserves the right to modify this job description or require that other tasks be performed as required by the business or job circumstances. (for example, but not limited to, personnel changes, technical developments, business needs, etc).