City of Fond du Lac Water Utility is accepting applications for an Equipment Operator II. This position will be under general supervision to do skilled and semi-skilled work in the operation and routine maintenance of heavy or specialized construction equipment in the performance of various public works water utility activities; and perform duties of all lower classifications when needed.
The successful candidate will have the knowledge, experience, abilities, and skills necessary to perform the essential duties of the following:
- Excavation of City infrastructure, while navigating private underground utilities in a safe manner
- Operation of heavy equipment for repairs to infrastructure and full road and landscape restoration
- Repair of water, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer infrastructure
- Form, pour, and finish concrete, landscaping and prep for asphalt.
- Emergency response 24/7/365 (water main breaks, service leaks, vehicle accidents, etc…) (Response is not required, but expected in most situations.)
- On-call Leader responsibilities (Carry on-call phone and manage after hour emergencies when called upon by Police Dispatch (diagnose issue, assemble repair crew, emergency digger locates, traffic control))
- Oversee projects in the field for safety; provide guidance for co-workers when in the field, mentor and train staff
- Reading, understanding, and executing jobsite plans to provide direction for co-workers and project completion
- Setup and maintain safe construction work zones by using proper traffic control devices to conform to the Manual on Universal Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD)
- Cleaning and equipment maintenance
- Keep project records (time, equipment & material use, as-builds)
- Snow removal
- Distribution system flushing
- Fluent in all aspects of general road construction processes as well as all utility repairs (sanitary, storm, water)
Qualifications include: 7 – 10 years progressive experience relating to general road construction, excavation, concrete work, and utility repair with a minimum of 5 years of heavy equipment operation; considerable knowledge of the operation, servicing and maintenance of standard and specialized construction equipment; working knowledge of the tools, methods, materials and practices commonly used in public works and water facility maintenance activities, sewer and street construction; working knowledge of occupational hazards and safe work practices; ability to locate and uncover underground utilities; ability to supervise the work of others; ability to understand and carry out oral or written instructions; and the ability to dig trenches, maintain grade, dig around underground pipe, utilities, gas mains, and streets without damage to them.
Minimum training and experience required to perform essential job functions include: graduation from high school or equivalent; and current training and/or ability to obtain in Competent Person, Forklift Safety, Work Zone/Flagger Safety, Confined Space Entry, Wisconsin DNR Distribution Certificate, Basic First Aid, and CPR.
Special Requirements include: possession of a valid Wisconsin Commercial “Class A” Driver’s License without air brakes restriction and with tanker endorsement; and experience in the operation of construction equipment.
Benefits: We offer a comprehensive benefit package including health, life, dental, and vision insurance; long-term disability; 457 and Roth retirement plans; and participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System. This continues to be one of the best-funded public employee retirement systems in the country. The financial strength of the WRS is attributable to its unique plan design, funding discipline, strong governance, and the effective investment strategies of the State of Wisconsin Investment Board. Relocation and Educational Assistance is also available. https://www.fdl.wi.gov/hr/employee-resources/benefits/
Paid Time Off: We offer a generous paid time off package including compensatory time in lieu of overtime, 9 standard holidays, 5 floating holidays, sick leave (8 hours/month); and vacation schedule based on previous career and field experience.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive compensation package ($25.13 – $28.71/hour) based upon knowledge, skills, and abilities with potential to receive additional step increases based on meeting and/or exceeding goals/expectations; annual COLA and step increases pending City Council approval of budgets; and future promotional opportunities in alignment with succession and career path.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity, please submit a City application found at https://www.fdl.wi.gov/hr/job-opportunities/ or a detailed resume and cover letter describing your interest and experience as it relates directly to this position to Jackie Braatz – email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer