City of Columbus, WI is seeking a Lineman 1 (Journeyman) at Columbus Utilities, our municipally owned and operated electric and water utilities.
This is a skilled position in the construction and maintenance of the municipal electric and water distribution and transmission systems. The majority of the work is performed in the field with some duties performed in the office. Reports to the Line Foreman for daily assignments and field work activities.
- Keep track of materials on each job and do the proper paper work.
- Install and remove overhead and underground wires secondary, primary, and transmission.
- Install overhead and underground equipment.
- Termination of underground cable and equipment.
- Install streetlights and related equipment along with setting poles, anchors/guys, and tree trimming.
- Perform trouble shooting and repairs on the overhead and underground electrical system.
- Install and the maintenance of substation equipment.
- Operate and maintain backhoes, bucket trucks, pickups, compressors, trenchers, thumper, and related power equipment associated with the job.
- Make sure that the trucks are cleaned out and ready for the next day.
- Read meters and assist the water crew as needed.
- Must be familiar with lay out of the electrical distribution and transmission system.
- Must be able to work well with others
- Knowledge of the transmission/distribution system.
- Ability to communicate and maintain a good working relation with customers, the public, superiors, and fellow employees.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of the principles of electrical theory as applied to electrical circuits and wiring systems
- Ability to climb poles and work with high tension wires, exercising proper safety precautions.
- Skills in the operation of the equipment, tools, and testing equipment.
- Ability to read and analyze technical procedures.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts as related to the electrical utility.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions.
- Knowledge and experience with personal computers is required.
Certificates, Licenses and special requirements
- High school diploma or GED and completion of the nine-month Power Distribution program or the equivalent combination of education and experience providing the knowledge’s, abilities, and skills listed above
- Journey Lineworker Certification.
- Valid Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License – class A.
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR.
The wage range for this position is $44.31 – $49.31 per hour, depending on experience. Columbus Utilities also offers an exceptional benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as enrollment in the Wisconsin Retirement System. Team members also enjoy paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, professional development opportunities, a flexible and employee-friendly work environment, and more.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, and employment application to Human Resources Administrator, Stephanie Masché.
City of Columbus
Attn: Stephanie Masché
105 N Dickason Blvd
Columbus, WI 53925
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Position open until filled.
The City of Columbus is an Equal Opportunity Employer.