Village of Maple Bluff Public Works Crew Worker Job Description
Unless otherwise stated, all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications stated herein are essential functions of this position.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Public Works Superintendent, performs all tasks involving the installation, maintenance, repair, and operation of the Village of Maple Bluff Public Works facilities, recreation facilities, parks, water and sewer systems, and mechanical equipment. Receives and carries out job assignments involving the performance of manual labor often involving physical demanding work and the operation of mechanized equipment.
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive; other duties may be required and assigned.
- Collection of residential and commercial refuse, as required. Tasks include driving and operating refuse trucks throughout the Village along designated routes and manually loading/picking up refuse.
- Tree and shrub trimming and chipping of tree branches.
- Collection of large household items for disposal and/or recycling.
- Collection of leaves and yard waste gathered by residents along the street.
- Patching of Village streets using asphalt, cold patch and/or hot mix.
- Maintenance and repair of Storm water facilities.
- Maintenance and repair of Sanitary Sewer facilities.
- Maintenance and repair of Water System facilities, including repair of Water Main breaks, routine maintenance of Fire Hydrants and Valves, installation and or maintenance of Water meters and individual service valves, sampling of water as required by local, State, and Federal regulations, an weather related duties assigned.
- Grass cutting with a riding lawn mower, push mower, weed wacker trimmer, and lead blower.
- Maintenance and repair of Park and recreation facilities including playground equipment, benches, tables, boat launches, restrooms, park shelters, and other grounds facilities.
- Landscaping, including reseeding/resodding damaged grass areas.
- Installation, maintenance, and repair of signs and pavement markings
- During the winter months snow plowing, sidewalk snow removal, application of salt and/or sand to Village streets and sidewalks.
- Maintenance and repair of Village owned vehicles and equipment using hand tools.
- Maintenance of Public Works Garage and yard facilities.
- Setting up and removal of road barricades, snow fences, temporary signage, and other temporary facility installations.
- Operation of Dump trucks, Skid loader (with attachments), roller or tamper, refuse trucks, leaf collection equipment, wood chipping equipment, Sewer cleaning equipment, riding lawn mowers, and other light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty equipment and vehicles as needed.
- Represent the Village of Maple Bluff in a polite, courteous, and respectful manner.
- On twenty-four hour call in case of emergencies including Water main breaks, Sanitary sewer backups, Storm related debris clearance, and snow removal. Must be able to be on a “On-Call” rotation carrying the Village On-Call phone.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to follow directions and to carry out job assignments involving the performance of manual labor often involving physically demanding work and the operation of mechanized equipment.
- Ability to operate and maintain light, medium, and large motorized vehicles and equipment associated with Public works operations in a skillful and safe manner.
- Ability to complete reports and maintain records and logs, as assigned and related to Public works operations.
- Knowledge of basic requirements and regulations pertaining to the operation and maintenance of public water and sewer systems.
- Ability to get along with others and be a part of a team effort.
- Good customer relations skills.
- Knowledge of basic safety practices and techniques.
- Good skill in working with hands, power tools, and equipment.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Class C and D driver’s license.
- Must possess a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- Must be able to physically lift fifty (75) pounds of various sizes.
- Must be able to undertake specific physical tasks as related to the operation and maintenance of Public works equipment and facilities.
- No experience necessary at entry level. Increasing levels of experience, knowledge, and training necessary for advanced position levels.
- Water operator certification is a plus.
- Gardening skills a plus