JOB TITLE: Public Works Maintenance Worker – Utility
SALARY: $18.61 – $21.27 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 11/12/18
CLOSING DATE: 12/02/18 11:59 PM
The City of Fitchburg has an exciting full time opening in our Public Works department as a Maintenance Utility Worker. The ideal candidate will be someone that takes pride in his/her work, is not afraid of taking on new challenges and has familiarity with water systems. Decisions on day-to-day activities are made independently with limited supervision. There is frequent interaction with the public and other Public Works employees.
This position is part of an on-call rotation and must be able to respond within forty (40) minutes.
Hours for this full-time position will be Monday thru Friday. 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Utility Maintenance Responsibilities:
- Read well meters and maintain daily records.
- Add fluoride and chlorine and maintain daily records. Test for residual levels daily.
- Maintain pumping equipment, water mains, chemical feed equipment and well houses.
- Take static and pumping water levels and keep records.
- Operate supervisory control and data acquisition system (SCADA).
- Make inspections and necessary repairs of water laterals.
- Raise, repair and lower curb boxes and manholes to the appropriate grade.
- Install, test, and maintain all meters and reads quarterly.
- Operate hydrants semi-annually to flush mains and makes necessary repairs.
- Exercise valves yearly and makes necessary repairs.
- Review water and sewer plans and specifications.
- Prepare pumpage reports. Take water samples and send to State laboratory.
- Locate mains and laterals for construction and other improvements.
- Clean, repair, and keep records of mains in sewer system.
- Complete necessary field paperwork for water and sewer records.
- Keep records of daily work functions. Fill out and submits time distribution of activities.
- Attend state courses to maintain water licenses.
- Perform routine equipment maintenance such as oil changes, lubrications, fueling, and cleaning.
- Use shop hand and power tools for maintenance of City vehicle and auxiliary equipment.
- Assist in keeping of maintenance records and performs necessary preventive maintenance.
- Perform rudimentary welding, grinding, and drilling.
- Perform building maintenance and housekeeping functions as required.
- Assist other Public Works operations in the performance of their functions as directed by the Utility Superintendent or Street or Parks Supervisor. Prepares and submits reports of all accidents, personal injuries, and other Public Works functions.
- Operate snow removal equipment to remove snow from roadways and City parking lot surfaces.
- Operate salting and/or sanding equipment. Operate street sweeper.
- Make roadway repairs, performing such repair functions as: crack sealing, pot hole filling, hauling and spreading fill dirt and gravel, placing and grading of shoulder gravel, right-of-way mowing, cutting of weeds, weed spraying, collecting and hauling of refuse, concrete work and the hauling and laying of roadway surface materials.
- Install and maintain highway marking, highway structures, and signing devices
- Clean and maintain park shelters and restrooms, performs baseball diamond maintenance.Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or the equivalent.
- Experience in a Public Works or Construction environment performing maintenance work desired.
- Minimum of three years experience operating large trucks or similar equipment desired.
- Licenses, Certifications, etc.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s License upon application and maintain such during entire course of employment. (Class B with air brake, tanker endorsement and manual transmission)
- Must be able to obtain certification as a grade 1 – GD water works operator by the Department of Natural Resources within 24 months of hire.
- Must be able to obtain the DNR Collection Services Certification within 24 months of hire.Work Environment: Outside work (no effective protection from weather) is 90% of the time. Frequent exposure to heat/cold extremes, temperature changes, and moderate noise. Occasional exposure to loud noise, vibration, odors and dust. Occasional exposure to hazards or risk of bodily injury. Seldom exposed to toxic conditions or poor ventilation.As a condition of employment, the indended candidate(s) will be subject to a background investigation and drug screen. Certain positions also require a pre-employment physical. Pre-employment evaluations will be conducted at the expense of the City of Fitchburg.http ://www.fitchburgwi .goviemployment
- APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
- The City of Fitchburg values the unique perspectives of all of our employees and encourages individuals who reflect the diversity of our community to apply.
- Physical Demand: Heavy Work: Exerting 76-100 lbs. seldom. Exerting 31-75 lbs. occasionally, and/or 0-30 lbs. frequently. Frequently standing and walking. Occasionally sitting.
The City of Fitchburg values the unique perspectives of all of our employees and encourages individuals who reflect the diversity of our community to apply.
As a condition of employment, the indended candidate(s) will be subject to a background investigation and drug screen. Certain positions also require a pre-employment physical. Pre-employment evaluations will be conducted at the expense of the City of Fitchburg.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
http ://www.fitchburgwi .goviemployment