CITY OF FITCHBURG (WI) invites applications for the position of:
Public Works Maintenance Worker – Utility
SALARY: $18.61 – $21.27 Hourly
$38,708.80 – $44,241.60 Annually
OPENING DATE: 05/08/18
CLOSING DATE: 05/29/18 11:59 PM
Under the direction of the Utility Superintendent, performs all functions necessary for the accurate and timely locating of water and sewer mains, laterals, and utilities. Performs all tasks involved in the installation, maintenance, repair and operation of the water and sanitary sewer system of the City of Fitchburg. Also performs snow removal, general maintenance activities, and repairs and maintains roadways under the direction of the Street Supervisor. Decisions on day-to-day activities are made independently. Supervision received is limited. Daily work plans are discussed with daily review of progress. There is frequent interaction with the public and other Public Works employees. This position is part of an on-call rotation and must be able to respond within forty (40) minutes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
The following duties are normal for th is position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive; other duties may be required and assigned.
- Reads well meters and maintains daily records.
- Adds fluoride and chlorine and maintains daily records. Tests for residual levels daily.
- Maintains pumping equipment, water mains, chemical feed equipment and well houses.
- Takes static and pumping water levels and keeps records.
- Operates supervisory control and data acquisition system (SCADA).
- Makes inspections and necessary repairs of water laterals.
- Raises, repairs and lowers curb boxes and manholes to the appropriate grade.
- Installs, tests, and maintains all meters and reads quarterly.
- Operate hydrants semi-annually to flush mains and makes necessary repairs.
- Exercises valves yearly and makes necessary repairs.
- Reviews water and sewer plans and specifications.
- Prepares pumpage reports. Takes water samples and sends to State laboratory.
- Locates mains and laterals for construction and other improvements.
- Cleans, repairs, and keeps records of mains in sewer system.
- Completes necessary field paperwork for water and sewer records.
- Keep records of daily work functions. Fills out and submits time distribution of activities.
- Attends state courses to maintain water licenses.
- Performs routine equipment maintenance such as oil changes, lubrications, fueling, and cleaning.
- Uses shop hand and power tools for maintenance of City vehicle and auxiliary equipment.
- Assists in keeping of maintenance records and performs necessary preventive maintenance.
- Perform rudimentary welding, grinding, and drilling.
- Performs building maintenance and housekeeping functions as required.
- Assist other Public Works operations in the performance of their functions as directed by the Utility Superintendent or Street or Parks Supervisor. Prepares and submits reports of all accidents, personal injuries, and other Public Works functions.
- Operates snow removal equipment to remove snow from roadways and City parking lot surfaces.
- Operates salting and/or sanding equipment. Operates street sweeper.
- Makes roadway repairs, performing such repair functions as: crack sealing, pot hole filling, hauling and spreading fill dirt and gravel, placing and grading of shoulder gravel, right-of-way mowing, cutting of weeds, weed spraying, collecting and hauling of refuse, concrete work and the hauling and laying of roadway surface materials.
- Installs and maintains highway marking, highway structures, and signing devices
- Cleans and maintains park shelters and restrooms, performs baseball diamond maintenance.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- High School Diploma or the equivalent desired.
- Minimum of three years experience operating large trucks or similar equipment desired.
- General vehicle maintenance experience desired.
Licenses, Certifications, etc.
- Must possess a valid Wisco nsin Commercial Driver’s License and maintain during entire course of employment. (Class B with air brake endorsement) CDL required within 90 days of hire.
- Must be able to obtain certification as a grade 1 – GD water works operator by the Department of Natural Resources within 24 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with electric equipment desired.
- Knowledge of machinery used in the repair and maintenance of water systems, road construction plumbing principles, and general mathematics.
- Ability to interact effectively with the public, and to operate a variety of mechanical equipment.
- Prefer knowledge of computer operations and SCADA system.
- Ability to think logically to make decisions; interpret information in mathematical, written and diagram form, such as statistical reports.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems, e valuate alternative solutions and make sound judgments, especially in stressful situations.
Physical Demand: Heavy Work: Exerting 76-100 lbs. seldom. Exerting 31-75 lbs. occasionally, and/or 0-30 lbs. frequently. Frequently standing and walking. Occasionally sitting. Seldom runs.
Work Environment: Outside work (no effective protection from weather) is 90% of the time. Frequent exposure to heat/cold extremes, temperature changes, and moderate noise. Occasional exposure to loud noise, vibration, odors and dust. Occasional exposure to hazards or risk of bodily injury. Seldom exposed to toxic conditions or poor ventilation.
The City of Fitchburg values the unique perspectives of all of our employees and encourages individuals who reflect the
diversity of our community to apply.
As a condition of employment, the intended candidate(s) will be subject to a background investigation and drug screen.
Certain positions also require a pre-employment physical. Pre-employment evaluations will be conducted at the expense
of the City of Fitchburg.