Village of Necedah, Wisconsin
PUBLIC WORKS SUMMER 2018 INTERNSHIP POSITION
The Village invites applications for a summer Public Works Intern position. The community has approximately 917 residents and is located at the intersection of Highway 80 and Highway 21 in Central Wisconsin. Over the last several years the Village has utilized the Comprehensive Plan to obtain funding for several public works projects. The individual selected for the position will have an opportunity to be exposed to funding sources such as the Community Development Block Grant, Safe Drinking Water Loan Program, Local Road Improvement Program, and a Necedah Revolving Loan Fund. Some of the projects completed include the construction of water main projects, reconstruction of a street, construction of sewer main and the construction of storm sewer. In addition to these projects the individual will work closely with Public works staff to operate and maintain the Village Wastewater Treatment Plant. The projects scheduled for 2018 include mapping the sewer utility system, installation of a wireless meter reading system, inspecting/reporting cross connection, lining sewer main, maintenance of several streets, maintenance of sewer/water system, and a possible park project.
- Participate in project meetings
- Participate in planning meetings
- Coordinate with Juneau County Land Information Staff, Village Consultants, and Village Staff to complete GIS mapping projects
- Prepare presentations for staff, public and elected officials
- Assist with the conduct of fieldwork
- Assist with operation of the Wastewater Treatment Plant (SBR)
- Assist with operation of the Water Treatment Plant (Iron Removal)
- Perform project inspections under the supervision of the Public Works Director or Administrator
- Assist with performing lab tests for water and wastewater operations.
- Assist in the preparation of various materials for Plan Commission, Village Board and Committees
- Perform manual labor tasks such as lift station maintenance, pump maintenance, water system maintenance, sewer system maintenance, and other public works duties
- Prepare written summaries to use at meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Current enrollment and good standing in technical college, undergraduate or graduate program
Areas of study: civil engineering, environmental engineering, water or wastewater operation, construction supervision, GIS mapping or related field
- Completion of course work that is directly relevant to municipal engineering, municipal water system operation, wastewater system operation, public works project management/supervision or related course work
- Demonstrated ability to read technical documents
- Effective verbal communication
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office and Adobe Creative Suite – working knowledge of ArcGIS is also preferred
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment and meet deadlines
- Possession of a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and reliable transportation (use of personal vehicle for fieldwork may be required)
Preference will be given to those whose university program requires an internship as a condition of graduation. Special requirements include the physical agility and flexibility needed to perform field investigations and access file cabinets and bookshelves, and the dexterity and vision needed to operate computer equipment with a high degree of proficiency. Criminal and/or personal background checks may be performed. Use of illegal drugs or abuse of legal drugs will prevent or terminate the internship.
Monday thru Thursday from 6:00 AM – 3:30 PM
36 Hours per week (Possibility to work an additional four hours a week as needed or scheduled)
Paid position – $10.00 per hour
Send a letter of interest and resume to:
Village of Necedah
Attn: Mr. Roger Herried
P.O. Box 371
Necedah, WI 54646
The review of applications will begin on April 15th.
Start Date and end date to be negotiated with selected candidate based on their schedule.
The Village of Necedah is an Equal Opportunity Employer.