CITY OF FITCHBURG (WI) invites applications for the position of: Transportation Engineer
SALARY: $68,016.00 – $77,729.60 Annually
OPENING DATE: 09/04/20
CLOSING DATE: 09/28/20 12:00 AM
DESCRIPTION: The City of Fitchburg has an exciting opportunity to join our talented team of Engineers to lead some of the City’s major transportation projects. Fitchburg offers an excellent benefits package including an onsite fitness center. In addition to your traditional benefits, we offer wellness incentives, professional development, and work-life balance. We strive to provide the ultimate employee experience.
The City seeks a customer-focused Engineering professional to provide transportation engineering, planning and technical support to the Public Works department. We are seeking someone with the following competencies to join our team:
- Thorough knowledge of Engineering principles including traffic engineering and maintenance of roadways;
- Ability to lead and engage our community and policy leaders to identify issues and cultivate informed consent decisions;
- Ability to interact with a diverse population, listening to differing perspectives and developing solutions; and
- Ability to explain technical engineering reasoning in a personal and understandable manner.
- Investigate traffic operation concerns and issues identified by City staff, citizens and other agencies.
- Develop and recommend alternatives to improve traffic operations in accordance with MUTCD guidelines.
- Coordinate and conduct road safety audits and prepare reports.
- Develop and maintain pavement marking policies for the City in accordance with MUTCD guidelines.
- Conduct studies for the installation of new channelization, crosswalks, signage and signals.
- Assist in solving problems related to street lighting and traffic issues.
- Coordinate/present at public involvement meetings for transportation-related improvements.
- Manage the creation and implementation of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan.
- Manage and coordinate Madison Metro Transit services throughout the City.
To see the exhaustive list of responsibilities, please view the job description.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited college in civil or mechanical engineering or related field required.
- Three years of civil engineering or public works operational experience including, but not limited to: design of roads; sidewalks; and construction management of same desired; additional experience may substitute for education.
Licenses, Certifications, etc.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of Wisconsin, or the ability to obtain such registration within twelve months of employment.
- Must possess a valid Wisconsin Drivers License at time of appointment and maintain during course of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles, municipal engineering operations, local government structures, public works, transportation operations, and related policies and procedures required.
- Knowledge of, and ability to use, Computer Aided Design (CAD), Geographical Information Systems (GIS), and other Civil Engineering software programs desired.
- Ability to ensure compliance with and follow standard safety practices and procedures common to public works programs required.
- Knowledge of personnel management procedures and ability to supervise the work of others required.
- Skill in review and analysis of designs, plans, or actual site conditions to determine compliance with acceptable standards required.
To see the exhaustive list of knowledge, skills and abilities, please view the job description.
Moderate Work: Exerting 76-100 lbs. seldom. Exerting 31-75 lbs. occasionally, and/or 0-30 lbs. frequently. Requires walking or standing to a significant degree primarily on construction sites, various land developments, and all Utility facilities which required the capabilities of moving about. Requires standing for brief periods of time requires sitting some of the time.
Outside work (no effective protection from weather) is 35% of the time. Inside work is 65% of the time. Environmental conditions: occasionally exposed to heat and cold extremes and temperature changes; seldom exposed to loud noises; occasionally exposed to moderate noise; occasionally exposed to vibration, toxic conditions, odors, dust, and poor ventilation. Seldom exposed to hazards or risk of bodily injury.