Position: Utilities/DPW Maintenance Worker
Department: Water/ Wastewater Utilities and DPW
Reports to: Public Works Director &Wastewater Supervisor
FLSA status: Non-exempt
Pay:DOQ $21.18-$30.07(2024 Pay grade 7-9 depending on Water/Wastewater Certifications)
Revised: October 9, 2023
Position Summary: The Primary duties of this position is to perform maintenance activities for the Wastewater, Water, and DPW divisions of the Village of Kewaskum. With an emphasis on sanitary/storm sewer cleaning and televising. Maintain village streets, water & sewer utilities, buildings and equipment, and parks. Respond to water, sewer, street and snow emergencies. Rotating holiday and weekend duties required.
Major Position Duties:
- Maintain and operate wastewater treatment facility (WWTF) equipment, sewage lift stations, and collection system including jetting, cleaning, and televising. Comply with Village CMOM program for collection system maintenance.
- Assist Lab Tech in performing laboratory tests on wastewater according to DNR rules and regulations.
- Utilize SCADA system for Water and Wastewater utilities.
- Perform maintenance activities on DPW/Utilities/Parks equipment, buildings, and vehicles.
- Pick up and dispose of brush and leaves. Operate brush chipper and leaf vac.
- Maintain streets; put up street signs, repair street lights, paint lines and curbs.
- Plow and assist in snow and ice control from Village streets and facilities.
- Respond to emergency water/sewer main and other utility emergencies. Repair water mains and valves. Read water meters. Gather and process water samples.
- Perform physical labor. Rotating weekend and holiday as required. Respond to emergencies at any and all times, weekends, holidays, nights, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, Requirements:
- Requires a High School diploma or equivalent
- Requires valid Wisconsin driver’s license
- Requires Wisconsin CDL with tanker and airbrakes endorsements or ability to obtain them within three months of hire
- Must pass all applicable Wisconsin DNR Basic Wastewater General Certifications and obtain Municipal Waterworks Groundwater and Distribution Grade 1 within two years of hire.
- Must acquire Wisconsin DNR Wastewater Advanced Certifications within six years of hire or sooner.
- Participate in DOT required drug and alcohol testing program.
- Complete safety and confined space training in accordance with Village programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform pump maintenance, lift station work and collection system work.
- Knowledge of an activated sludge wastewater treatment facility.
- Skilled in use and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Ability to use lawn mowers, snow plows, end loader, and dump trucks.
- Ability to perform physical and manual work including lifting, pulling, climbing, standing and walking.
- Ability to work under various weather and working conditions including confined spaces.
- Knowledge of drinking water wells and booster pumps.
- Knowledge of basic mechanical repair. Knowledge of piping, valves, coupling devices, sleeves, fittings, water main materials and repair/construction methods
- Ability to work flexible hours as to meet the demands/needs of the job.
The position summary is not to be an all inclusive list of the job duties and requirements, but an illustrative description of typical position responsibilities, duties, qualifications, etc.
Contact Village Administrator Adam Gitter at 262-626-3623 with any questions. Send resume and village application to Adam Gitter, PO Box 38, Kewaskum, WI 53040 or e-mail to email@example.com.