UTILITY/PUBLIC WORKS EMPLOYEE
Village of Arlington: This is a full time position, requiring minimal weekend hours and must be available for emergencies. This position works with street-related duties, including road, storm sewer, mowing, and ditch work. This position also preforms work of a skilled nature in the maintenance, operation of a complete water supply and distribution system, lab and testing, and a complete recirculating sand filter sewer collection system. The position includes public contact in which the employee must respond with patience and tact.
SUPERVISION AND REPORTING RESPONSIBILITIES
This position is under the direction of the Senior Public Works Employee. This position will receive additional instruction and guidance from the Village Administrator, Village Board, or a designee.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Flush water mains and hydrants.
- Maintain sewer beds with weed removal, tiller operation, and diffuser pipe maintenance.
- Remove, install, reset, and perform field repair to water meters. Read meters and record findings. Assist in the maintenance of records relating to water or sewer calls, including an inventory of all water/sewer meters. Responsible for the operation and repair/reconditioning of water meters. Maintain related records. Handle direct contact with Village residents regarding meter complaints. Determine and correct meter and related problems.
- Check Village wells, pumping stations, and elevated tank(s) on a rotating basis.
- Maintain and service pumps and associated equipment.
- Aid and direct contractors in the installation, inspection and repair of water mains, service connectors, hydrants, valves, and related distribution equipment.
- Operate equipment necessary to the performance of the job, such as front-end loader, snow plow, lawn mower, street sweeper, etc.
- Minor maintenance on vehicles and equipment.
- Prepare necessary reports as directed.
- Plow snow, salt roads, clear sidewalks, and patch streets as directed.
- Perform related duties as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (must possess or be obtained)
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methods, materials, and equipment used in the construction, maintenance, and repair of a municipal water supply and distribution system and a municipal sanitary sewer collection system.
- Knowledge of the mechanical designs, parts, and operations of water meters, water services, and water distribution components as well as knowledge of the tools used for field-testing and repair of these items.
- Knowledge of the hazards of water and sewer systems installation, maintenance, repairs and operations as well as applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Skill in the operation of tools and equipment necessary to perform the job, tools used in performing electrical, plumbing and mechanical repairs and installations.
- Ability to read and understand technical information.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safe work practices.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and the work independently in the performance of the duties of the position.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other employees, representatives of other agencies and the public, deal with complaints courteously, and explain meter requirements and department policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to accurately maintain simple clerical records and perform arithmetic computations.
- Ability to obtain required water and sewer certifications within 2 years of employment and perform daily laboratory activities and maintenance of the State of Wisconsin Laboratory Certification Program.
- Ability to drive a truck and snow plow, operate tools and mechanical equipment. Must obtain a CDL within 1 year of employment.
- Must be in good overall physical and mental health with the ability to sit, stand, walk, climb, bend, twist, reach, and lift.
- Ability to work under potentially uncomfortable conditions where exposure to environmental factors such as, strong odors, chemicals, noise, machinery, and extreme weather temperatures.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND TRAINING
- A good safety attitude is a must.
- Must be able to get involved in fieldwork and be active with maintenance and repair in the field with minimal supervision.
- Must achieve Water/Wastewater certification if not already certified.
- Good map reading skills are required.
- Computer literacy is required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in maintenance, repair and operation of mechanical equipment.
- Experience in the installation, maintenance or repair of water and sewer main pipes, meters, service, distribution and pumping equipment desirable.
- Valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
- Ability to perform and be trained in confined space environment including proper safety steps.
- Meet or exceed all local, state, and federal requirements with regard to sewer and water.
- Understand and use all required safety equipment.
- Must own cell phone and be willing to be on call in case of emergencies (monthly allotment to cover cost of phone).
The Village of Arlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Village will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourage both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.