City of Sparta (Pop. >9500) is seeking applicants for a full-time position in the Sanitation/ Collection Department in our 1.5MGD a traditional WWTP. Sparta is looking for a skilled, positive, and pro-active employee to embrace the position of Wastewater/ Maintenance Operations Personnel. The new hire will perform a variety of unskilled, semi-skilled, and skilled work to support the operation, maintenance, and repair of the City’s Sanitation Utilities. Many of these work tasks require certification and technical/ specialized training. Sparta’s Sanitation Department consists of: wastewater treatment plant, on-site laboratory, and maintenance shop, ancillary infrastructure, as well as the collection system. Applicant must have a strong positive work ethic and the ability to work in a public environment. Flexibility and positive communications are essential for a new hire to be successful at Sparta.
Operations of Sparta’s traditional 1.5MGD WWTP includes sampling, testing, PMs, janitorial, and maintenance of the Sanitation Department. May haul biosolids to local farm sites using a tanker vehicle. Must record & maintain computerized service records on all plant equipment, occasionally respond to sewer calls & lift station alarms, collect wastewater samples, & perform other operation & maintenance tasks as assigned.
This is a First shift position with hours of 0700-1530hr.
Require weekend rotation (once every 3-4 weeks for 2hr/day)
Requires Holiday coverage as needed.
Works under the immediate supervision of the Sanitation/ WWTP Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Maintain a positive and pro-active work environment.
Flexible and embraces change
Available for call-in and weekend rotations
Performs regular operations of the WWTP facility and the Collection system checks:
1) Treatment plant including various controls, treatment equipment/ machinery, and building systems:
2) Pump stations including pump machinery/ equipment and control panels:
3) Other assigned components of the City’s collection systems.
4) Maintains logs of any required readings (gauges/ meters/etc.), statistical data, and any other recordable activity per department policy and government regulations.
5) Operates a variety of equipment and machinery through active monitoring and adjustments made to valves, switches, and other controls as well as pumps and filters for the proper control of treatment processes.
6) Routine and emergency maintenance/ repairs
7) Routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and repairs defects and/or informs supervisor of need for repairs.
8) All duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
9) Lab work and analytical testing for operational and permit requirements
10) 5S concepts
11) Must obtain laboratory certification within 2yrs of date of hire.
12) Superior organizational skills
13) Excellent communication skills
14) Site janitorial duties as instructed by the Plant Manager
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma/ secondary school pertaining to #3
- Possess and/or obtain a Wisconsin WWTP license within 1year of hire
- Experience/ Education in Steam, water hydraulics, pneumatics, electrical, mechanical, chemical, and biochemical (operations/maintenance)
- Working knowledge of wastewater plant operations, machinery, pump & vehicle maintenance, basic understanding of 3 phase electrical systems, and basic computer literacy.
- Very strong mechanical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather
- Ability to lift & remove heavy manhole covers using appropriate lifting tools
- Valid Wisconsin CDL license with tanker & air brake endorsements within six months of hire
- Experience with SCADA control systems
- Ability to understand plumbing, flows, and As-Built diagrams
- Lab experience
- Must be able to climb a ladder
- Lift minimum of 50#
- Working knowledge of LOTO
- Working knowledge of CSE
- Working knowledge of Hach Wimms
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time
- Ability to work safely
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions
- Troubleshooting methods and practices useful in wastewater systems.
- Analyzing problems/ situations, taking decisive and effective action, and using proper procedures
- Using tools and equipment to inspect and diagnose.
Maintain a valid State Driver’s license and CDL certification
Obtain and maintain Wisconsin WWTP license and obtain any/all sub-certifications for plant operations
EQUIPMENT OPERATION, CARE, AND MAINTENANCE
Operates a variety of vehicles and motorized equipment including jetter, vactor, snowplows, tractors, truck mounted crane; various power and manual tools such as hand tools, drill press, snakes, televising equipment, chain falls, pumps, locator, and meters; sampling and lab equipment, amp/ volt meter, radio and mobile phone.
Performs operator-level checks on tools, equipment, and machinery.
Performs regular and as-needed cleaning on tools, equipment, and machinery.
Performs operator-level services and minor repairs appropriate for position’s training and experience.
Notifies Supervisor of unsafe or inoperable equipment and may assist with scheduling outside repairs.
Must pass a background check, drug screening, & physical exam.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
Required to hear/listen: understand and follow directions and instructions.
Occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
Able to climb a ladder and stairs.
Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Medical & dental insurance, State retirement plan, paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, clothing allowance, and state deferred compensation plan available.
Starting wage is to commensurate with experience in any/all/disciplines.
HOW TO APPLY
Send resume and application to City of Sparta 805 Richgruber Road, Sparta, WI 54656. Applications can be retrieved from the city website https://www.spartawisconsin.org/.
Email to: Attn: Dale Passehl, email@example.com
Application must be received no later than Feb 6. 2020.