The Wisconsin Rural Water Association and local water utilities invite teachers in Wisconsin to participate in WRWA’s annual Water Conservation Poster Contest. The contest is open to all 1st – 6th grade students in Wisconsin. Two winners from each grade will receive prizes and first place winners are entered into a drawing for a prize for their school.
The theme for the 2018 contest is “Reduce Your Use”. As part of the project, teachers are encouraged to discuss the importance of water resources in our state, and help students think about what role they play in conserving and protecting water. Water facts and things to consider:
- What do you do as an individual to reduce your water use?
- How can everyone’s efforts contribute to a larger conservation effort?
- A person can survide about a month without food, but only 5 to 7 days without water
- Showering and bathing are the largest indoor water use (27%)
- It takes about 1.1 million gallons of water to grow enough food for an average family for a year (Some foods take more water to produce than others).
- Even if you have abundant, clean safe drinking water, are there people in the state, country or world who don’t? Who are they and is there anything you can do to help?
- 780 million people globally lack clean safe water (water.org).
- Only 1% of the Earth’s water is available for drinking water.
- Each person in Wisconsin uses approximately 60 gallons of water every day.
2018 Water Conservation Poster Contest