Date Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018
Deadline: Friday, March 23, 2018
The Village of Sussex (population 10,700) is hiring a full-time Public Works Employee. Public Works is responsible for a wide variety of tasks, including:
- Street Maintenance: Maintaining the Village’s streets. Work includes pothole repair, plowing, concrete repair and installation, lawn damage repair, hanging banners, equipment maintenance, leaf, limb and Christmas tree collection and more. The position will be on call after the completion of deer hunting season to March 1st for snow removal.
- Stormwater Utility: Maintaining the Village’s stormwater system. Work includes mowing stormwater pond facilities, cleaning catch basins, and more.
- Water Utility: Successful operation of the Village’s water utility, which includes seven wells, two water towers, one standpipe, and approximately 57 miles of water main. Water utility work includes valve turning, chemical addition, hydrant flushing, cross connection surveys, meter installation and more.
- Wastewater Utility: Successful operation of a grade 4 regional treatment facility. Wastewater utility work includes plant maintenance, lab work, response to sewer backups and more.
- Special Projects and Other Duties:
- Operation of a municipal yard waste collection site
- Equipment maintenance, which may include welding
- Capital projects in the Village’s park system, such as installing new playgrounds
- Building maintenance at well houses, the wastewater treatment plant and assisting with building maintenance at the Library, Public Safety Building and Civic Center
The Public Works Employees work as a team to complete all assigned tasks under the guidance of the Public Works Foremen and Assistant Director of Public Works. Must possess a valid WI Driver’s License and Class A CDL or be able to obtain within 6 months of hire.
Wage: $21.94 or higher DOQ and is eligible for a merit based raise annually. The Village offers a competitive insurance package (health and dental) and participates in WRS.
Equipment operating experience is required as this position will spend a majority of time working under the Streets Foreman. Preference will be given to individuals with past mechanical experience and/or experience plowing snow.
Employment applications and cover letter should be submitted online no later than March 23 at 5:00 pm. Applications received after this date and time will not be considered.
The Village of Sussex is an Equal Opportunity Employer.